“Workforce of Tomorrow,” a report released by the Local Government Research Collaborative (LGRC) and the Center for State and Local Government Excellence (SLGE), recommends six action strategies to build the workforce of tomorrow:
- Reinvent human resources to become more flexible, nimble, and strategic. Seek staff who champion people management issues and can set the workforce agenda.
- Revamp antiquated policies and practices to meet the needs and expectations of a changing workforce.
- Build a brand that tells the great story of public service
- Focus on talent management, leadership development, and succession planning to prepare for workforce transitions, build capacity, and grow future leaders.
- Create a culture that values and engages employees in meaningful ways.
- Leverage technology, data, and automation to improve operations and provide employees with the tools they need.
This report includes the results of a graduate and undergraduate student survey and their views of local government careers; interviews with a wide range of human resources and management experts, academics, and authors; and a review and analysis of practitioner and academic research and data sets on the changing workforce.