Thank you for considering Decatur, Georgia for the Local Government Management Fellowship (LGMF) program. We have a long history of working with interns, and have been officially participating with LGMF since 2008. Decatur has a strong sense of place, in which the residents and staff take great pride. We take our commitment to providing high quality municipal services very seriously, but we have fun doing it. Having innovative, knowledgeable, and passionate staff if an important part of our strategy for a sustainable community. This presentation will provide some background on this community, and outline some potential projects that the 2015 Fellow will be exploring. We hope you will consider working with us.
Peggy Merriss, City Manager
- Established in 1823, before Atlanta
- Covers approximately 4.4 square miles, with about 20,000 population
- 9 parks totaling 57 acres (and 3 especially for dogs!)
- 3 MARTA stations
- More than 200 shops, restaurants and businesses
- Year round special events including the largest independent book festival in the country!
What type of work will the Fellow do?
New Fellows are generally presented with a wide variety of projects to explore. Some areas are identified has high priority, but our goal is to be flexible and work within the skills and interests of each employee as much as possible. Projects may be under the direction of the City Managers Office, but all departments and divisions are invited to submit ideas.
Check out our 2015 LGMF Work Plan for more details on potential projects.
Learn more about Decatur by visiting these great sites:
- Decaturga.com – Official City Website
- Budget- www.decaturga.com/index.aspx?page=351
- City Commission - www.decaturga.com/index.aspx?page=112
- Open City Hall - www.decaturga.com/index.aspx?page=205
- visitdecaturgeorgia.com – Tourism Website
- thedecaturminute.com – Official City Blog
- beactivedecatur.wordpress.com – Official Active Living Department Blog