Did you receive an instruction manual for LinkedIn optimization? Do you know all of the specific ways LinkedIn can and should be used to your advantage? Does the information available on LinkedIn seem overwhelming? Do you want to get noticed and approached for business opportunities? To better understand what it takes to get from “here” to “there”? And get connected to your dream organizations?
Then watch Tamara Lynn Schaps, Director of Career Development at the Evans School of Public Policy & Governance at the University of Washington as she explains why, within the current relational job market, effective use of LinkedIn is vital for advancing your career.
In this student chapter webinar, Tamara gives tangible examples, clear explanations, and insider tips.
The highlights include:
1. Pick the right photo
• Photos matter! Choose a professionally relevant photo
2. Customize your URL
• Indirectly sends someone your resume, shows who views your profile
3. Use a thoughtful headline
• Recruiters see this text appear next to your name and photo when they search
4. Make sure universities are accurate
• Listing schools properly is vitally important
5. Join Groups and follow Companies
• Post in groups to gain clout, boost credibility, and become known as a thought leader
6. Establish job search alerts
• Creates tailored job search alerts that yield excellent results
7. Learn how to do a “Smart Search"
• If you aren’t doing a smart search, it isn’t worth the trouble.
8. Connect your Student Chapter
• Helps connect prospective and current students with alumni working in the field
Share with a friend
Keep for your reference
ICMA Student Chapter Webinar: Using LinkedIn to Master Your Personal Brand from ICMA on Vimeo.
Have more questions? Please post them in the comments section below. Tamara would be delighted to answer them for you.
Any questions, ideas, or suggestions for the student chapter program? Please let me know: Christa Rainwater at email@example.com.