The City of Boulder seeks a customer service oriented and innovative Payroll and Payments Manager. This position is responsible for all aspects of payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and related financial management.
The successful incumbent will have day-to-day operations oversight, reengineer current processes, perform various auditing processes to ensure compliance to payroll, wage and hour laws, and regulations, and provide customer service and vendor management. In addition, the ideal candidate will be able to lead, role model, and coach staff while providing exemplary customer service within the city departments and outside vendors.
Please note the hiring range for this position is $86,237 - $105,000 annually DOQ.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides leadership and helps the CFO and Assistant Director of Finance set strategic direction of the Payroll and Payments Division of the Finance Department to achieve the city's social, economic, and environmental goals and to implement the work plan of the Finance Department.
Develops and supports the infrastructure required for effective and efficient management of the Payroll and Payments Division
• Develops and makes recommendations for policies and procedures, and enforces existing policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls and efficient processes that emphasize data and procedural integrity, security, compliance and appropriate financial management
• Designs practices and procedures to increase operating efficiency, improve accuracy, expedite work flow and communication, and achieve collective bargaining strategies
• Determines daily and long-term priorities for the division and develops work plans and procedures
• Establishes and maintains record keeping and control systems to comply with legal, regulatory requirements that complies with retention requirements, provide internal safeguards, and respond to audit inquires and serves as lead contact for auditors
• Builds and maintains effective relationships with city staff, vendors and other stakeholders in order to discuss and resolve issues/concerns, exchange information, and recommend changes to improve services
Payroll - Directs the city's payroll services and related financial management
• Utilizes in-depth knowledge of applicable tax, reimbursement, garnishment and labor laws and regulations to establish and ensure compliance, and to resolve technical issues
• Communicates collaboratively to enforce adherence to legal requirements, city policies and practices, bargaining group contracts, and to advise management on needed actions
• Directs time keeping processes to ensure time entered is accurate and that appropriate controls are in place
• Responsible for collaborating with other Human Resources (HR) staff and overseeing payroll staff portion of data entry of new hire information
• Oversees network of department payroll coordinators and keeps them informed and trained
• Maintains the City's established payroll services: salary, deductions, taxes, reporting, financial system communications, time collection, and pay systems
Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Mailroom. Directs the city's payments and mailroom services and related financial management
• Produces and distributes vendor and payroll checks
• Supports the city's purchasing card program
• Supports Finance's portion of city's travel program
• Provides training for Munis accounts payable and accounts receivable
• Prepares and mails annual vendor 1099 forms
• Performs year-end search for unrecorded liabilities
Functional Analyst - Serves as payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable expert for implementation projects, and on-going conversions and updates of payroll and payment information systems.
Supervisor - Manages staff according to the supervisory paragraph below and also performs the following:
• Ensures that staff in the division are cross-trained and empowers staff to continually take on more responsibility
• Works with and mentors staff to ensure continual professional development and knowledge
• Maintains consistent, timely, and effective communication with staff to ensure the division's objectives are being met
• Establishes staff work objectives, and develops staff to function independently while fostering a collaborative environment within the team and with other teams
• Trains staff members in payroll and payments techniques and methodologies; orients staff with appropriate laws, policies, regulations, and procedures, and ensures work conforms to standards, regulations, and laws
• Assigns and distributes work, reviews work for accuracy and completeness, and returns assignments with recommendations for proper completion
• Provides technical guidance and expertise to staff and assists with difficult and unusual payroll and payments issues
• Models performance and behavioral expectations
• Supports the payroll and payments team, as needed, to accomplish results.
Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city. Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, public or business administration, computer services, or a related field. A minimum of five years or more of progressive experience providing payroll administration within a complex organization, including a minimum of two years of payroll lead or supervisory experience. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with maintaining, upgrading or replacing an human resource information system (HRIS)/payroll system.
Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed. Have and maintain acceptable background information, including criminal conviction history.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Experience providing accounts payable and accounts receivable administration. Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of accounts payable and accounts receivable administration including all federal, state, and local procedures and laws/regulations pertaining to accounts payable and accounts receivable and 1099 filing. Currently certified with the American Payroll Association as a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP). Public sector Payroll, HR or Finance experience highly desirable. Working knowledge of ERP systems and HR Payroll a plus. Intermediate or advanced skill in payroll and payments systems implementation and management. Work experience in an organization with bargaining units. Experience in administering employment processes and vendor management processes. Experience working for a complex public sector/government organization. Experience with performance management and supervisory skills. Project management experience including the ability to engage in strategic thinking and knowledge of creating the building blocks, set priorities, and timelines to achieve the objectives and vision. Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Back to Search Results