The City of Colonial Heights is seeking a highly professional, results-oriented Director of Planning & Community Development. The Director, who reports to the City Manager, provides the overall direction and supervision over all aspects of the department, and ensures that activities are completed consistent with City Council and City Manager goals, objectives, and directives.
The position is responsible for coordinating, overseeing and evaluating a variety of planning/community development functions, activities, programs and services, to include planning studies, the comprehensive plan, land development ordinances, zoning, building permits/inspections, property maintenance and code enforcement; serves as an advisor to the City Manager, City Council, Planning Commission, and other City officials, residents, the business community and the general public on planning related issues.
Examples of Duties:
• Plans, organizes and directs the activities and staff within the department.
• Provides leadership and strategic direction for the City's land use planning and redevelopment processes.
• Organizes and oversees development planning, small area plan development, zoning administration, historic preservation, and demographic/census analysis.
• Directs staff and activities related to building permits and inspections, property maintenance and code enforcement.
• Interprets and analyzes statistical and technical information in the formulation and presentation of long-range and short-range development and compliance plans.
• Serves as zoning administrator.
• Reviews and coordinates site plans.
• Conducts research related to City Code revisions.
• Serves as staff for the planning commission, board of zoning appeals, architectural review, wetlands review, and other boards and commissions as assigned.
• Sits on local and regional planning boards and councils.
• Reviews building permits from a zoning perspective and addresses concerns and questions.
• Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development review process and/or to verify development projects comply with approved plans.
• Develops and presents public education materials.
• Addresses public and professional inquiries.
Education & Experience:
• A Bachelor's Degree and over ten years directly related professional and supervisory experience or
• A Master's Degree and over five years directly related professional and supervisory experience or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Local government experience and AICP certification desirable.
• Thorough knowledge of and experience with planning and community development activities, and grant writing.
• Knowledge of economic development activities.
• Ability to plan, organize, supervise and carry out complex research projects; negotiate in the public interest; and balance conflicting interests
• Ability to build strong working relationships within and across departments, with the City's Management team, the Mayor and City Council, other City officials, the citizens, businesses and the community.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills required; must have a clear and open communication style
• Working knowledge of computer applications in planning and zoning, including Geographic Information System (GIS).
• Possess or obtain a valid Virginia driver's license
• Successfully pass a criminal background investigation and pre-employment medical/drug screening.
Brochure/Additional Job Details
How to Apply
Visit the City’s web site at www.colonialheightsva.gov to apply online. A City of Colonial Heights employment application must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. (EST) on Friday, December 1, 2017.
The City of Colonial Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to Search Results