The City of Greenville, North Carolina is currently seeking an Assistant City Manager. The Assistant City Manager will
report directly to the City Manager and will perform highly responsible managerial and administrative work in the
coordination, organization, and direction of City programs and services; assist the Manager with the development and
implementation of policies and procedures; conduct and oversee special projects; serve as liaison to other governmental
agencies, university entities, neighborhoods, and community groups. The position may be assigned complete charge of
any department, operating unit, and/or functions for a period of time based on individual skill sets, as well as experience.
The Manager may periodically change the assignments of the Assistant.
City Overview: Greenville is located in the north central coastal plain region of eastern North Carolina approximately 85
miles east of Raleigh. The City covers 35 square miles and has a rapidly growing current population of 90,600 which is
expected to reach more than 100,000 by 2020. Greenville is home to East Carolina University which has more than
28,000 students enrolled. The City serves as the major industrial, economic, medical, and cultural center for eastern North
Carolina. Residents and visitors benefit from a wide range of highly attractive quality of life amenities and a very
reasonable cost of living.
Minimum Qualifications: Requirements include a bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, or
a related field and a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible local government management experience.
Candidate Profile: The ideal candidate will:
• Have experience as a City or County Manager and/or Deputy or Assistant City or County Manager or similar
position, with extensive experience involving responsibility for the planning, organization, implementation, and
supervision of varied work programs and performance management associated with such local government
services and activities;
• Have experience in a full-service community and of at least a similar size;
• Possess a related Master's and/or professional level degree or certification in related fields;
• Be an experienced professional with outstanding leadership skills and broad-based management experience in
• Have a positive record of achievement and a history of developing constructive working relationships throughout
• Be community-oriented, with the ability to work closely with citizens, elected officials, other agencies, and the
media to further the goals of the City; and
• Have experience working in a growing urban area.
Compensation: Highly competitive starting salary of $124,404.80 to $155,521.60, depending on qualifications and
Brochure/Additional Job Details
How to Apply
How to Apply: For a detailed job description and to apply online, please visit the City of Greenville’s website at
www.greenvillenc.gov. Applications accepted until filled.
The City of Greenville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
Back to Search Results